Inland 4 - Whitwell SC
Sat 14th - Sun 15th July
Rutland Marathon 2012 Sponsored By Tushingham
This event includes the famous Rutland Marathon. A race around the perimeter of Rutland Water. There will be a shorter course for our junior sailors. The Rutland Marathon has been held for well over 20 years and has raised many thousands of pounds for action for children formally the NCH. The UKWA is proud to support this event. There are many excellent trophies to be won and the list of famous past winners has some of the UK's best known windsurfers including Nick Dempsey & Ross Williams.
All you need to do is raise sponsorship money and we will give you a free event T shirt sponsored by Tushingham. This year the funds raised will be split between Action For Children and the purchase of a replacement rib for the MWA since the existing one is no longer working.
Please collect your sponsor money prior to the event and bring it along with you on the day as YOU WILL FINISH THE COURSE!!
For 2012 as a special one off event this years race will not count to the event but instead the marathon will be just for fun. As a celebration of the upcoming olympics in Weymouth there will be a red/white and blue theme, dress as you wish, decorate your rig, your board or all three, there will be special prizes from overboard for the most outrageous combination. The normal trophies will be awarded, but if you want to change kit, change sails, get the retro kit out, then its all fine by us.
Plus for the first 100 finishers you will be presented with a commemorative Gold Medal sponsored by TUSHINGHAM.
Click the link below for your Tushingham Rutland Marathon 2012 Sponsorship Form
Rutland Marathon Sponsor Form
Raise just £10 in sponsorship, bring it to the event and the first 100 competitors will receive an event T Shirt sponsored by 2012 Rutland Marathon Sponsor TUSHINGHAM
Rutland Watersports Centre. Bull Brigg Lane, Whitwell, RUTLAND LE15 8BL. 01780 460154
About the Centre
The Whitwell Sailing Centre at Rutland Water is the home of the Rutland Marathon which is run twice a year in June and November. Rutland water is one of the most popular sailing venues in the UK. Our hosts The Rutland Watersports Centre always make us most welcome and the shop offers a wide range of technical clothing. Also available at the watersports shop are the shower and changing facilities. A cafe and public toilets are also available at the venue. The lake is surrounded by grassy banks and with ample parking this is the ideal windsurfing venue. Cycle hire is also available with all the latest related equipment available to purchase in the cycle shop. www.rutlandcycling.com A climbing wall makes the venue an all round attraction.
Information can be seen at www.anglianwaterparks.co.uk
For your sat-nav the postcode is LE15 8BL.
From the A14
Take junction 7 A43. At Island turn left on A6003 to Corby. At Oakham turn right on to A606 to Rutland Water NORTH shore. Turn right onto Bull Brigg Lane. Go straight over the roundabout, follow the road round and the center is in front of you. Beware of high speed bumps.
Take A606. Turn left onto Bull Brigg Lane. Go straight over the roundabout, follow the road round and the center is in front of you. Beware of high speed bumps.
Important change to camping at Whitwell
Please see below from Rutland Watersports, we have attempted to negotiate a better deal but Rutland Watersports have rejected our approach therefore we advise you read below.
All competitors wishing to camp must phone and pay in advance.
- Camping pitch for 2 or 3 nights booked in advance: £25.00
- Camping pitch for 1 night booked in advance: £12.50
- Camping pitch for 1 night late booking: £17.50
Late booking price is applicable after the Monday before the event.
- The campers will be checked in and issued a permit on arrival.
- Any persons arriving to camp who have not paid in advance must pay the going rate of £17.50 per pitch per night.
- The camping area will be checked and patrolled throughout the weekend and all campers have to display their camping permit at all times.
- Please can all campers aim to be at Whitwell be no later than 10pm.
- If you arrive later than 10pm you may be requested to move to a different area if it is deemed necessary.
- Under no circumstances are the campers to park in the car parks for their overnight stay.
- Non-campers will need to pay the day rate for their parking, which is £6.00 per vehicle.
- Anyone attempting to leave the site without a valid parking permit, at any time during the weekend, will be asked to turn around at the barrier and proceed to a pay station to pay for their ticket – campers will need to report to the Watersports Centre with their permit, where their tickets will be authorised for exit.
- If anyone loses their car parking ticket they will have to press the “lost ticket” button at the pay booths and pay the relevant fee.
- To simply state that you are part of the event when at the exit barrier, will not authorise you to leave, it is imperative that you have a validated car parking ticket.
There are lots of walks and countryside in the area, and several activity centres including Rutland Cycling.
Open in Google maps.
Terms of attendance
The UKWA reserves the right to exclude or expel any member / non member / family / group or individual from its event site should it be considered that they may by their actions or the perception of such bring the UKWA, its hosts other parties or individuals into disrepute. The UKWA Committee, in part or in it’s entirety, shall be the sole judge of such action, and their decision is deemed final.
Persons expelled shall leave the event site within 30 minutes of any verbal notice and shall not return. Exclusion may be deemed temporary (this event) or permanent (all events). Permanent expulsion shall be the decision of the elected committee and shall be confirmed in writing within 21 days of any temporary expulsion, however any excluded individual may not attend any UKWA events during this period of consideration.