Slalom 2 - Tushingham - Hayling Island - Beach
Sat 25th - Sun 26th April
UKWA Slalom represents windsurfing in its purest form. No matter what your ability, the kit you use or the discipline you specialise in, everyone can relate to the exhilaration of blasting back and forth, trying to squeeze that extra bit of juice out of your kit whilst racing your mates.
At an event you choose a fleet to join depending on your ability, and blast around a simple course, trying to get to the finish the quickest!
At the events, there are several fleets:
- Master Blaster Fleet: Any kit, launch from the beach, get around one bouy any way you can, and get back! First back to the flag wins.
- National Fleet: New for 2023. The National fleet will be split into two divisions, those using slalom kit and those using freeride kit, however both divisions will be raced together.
- International Fleet: New for 2023. The International Fleet will follow the structure of IFCA, except that a second foil sail will be allowed and a 50mm tolerance will be allowed for any pre 2023 foil board.
Read more about the Slalom fleets before you enter.
The Hayling Seafront is primarily a shingle beach above the high tide mark, with long stretches of sand below this line. About a third of the beach is protected by groynes. West Beach is Haylings most popular beach, and designated a windsurfing area. At high tide the waters can get deep quickly with the shelving of the beaches, at low tide the waters are usually shallow.
- From the A27, take the Havant/Hayling exit.
- Head south on the A3023 on to Hayling island.
- At Mill Rythe roundabout (approx 2 miles from bridge ) take right exit.
- At Beachlands roundabout (approx 1 mile) take right exit After approx 1/2 mile, left just west of the bottom of Staunton Avenue.
Parking / Camping
This is a Pay and Display parking area.
"Overnight parking is not officially permitted by Havant Borough Council so our advice, as with the National Windsurfing Festival, is to use your own discretion and common sense. Considerate parking and behaviour hasn't attracted attention here before."
Hayling Island Tourism tel: 023 9246 7111; or go to havant.gov.uk For campers you can try 'The Oven', Manor Road tel 023 9246 4695. Another useful site is haylingisland.net.
The action takes place from the 'INN on the BEACH' where the race office will be based. Many thanks to our hosts at the INN! This building is right on the waters edge with a large deck for spectators to watch the racing; also bars and conservatory upstairs, with fantastic views of the Solent.
Tourist Information / Accommodation
Hayling Island Tourism tel: 023 9246 7111 ; or go to havant.gov.uk For campers you can try 'The Oven' ,Manor Road tel 023 9246 4695. See also the resort guide, tourist information, and haylingisland.net
Open in Google maps.
Terms of attendance
The UKWA reserves the right to exclude or expel any member / non member / family / group or individual from its event site should it be considered that they may by their actions or the perception of such bring the UKWA, its hosts other parties or individuals into disrepute. The UKWA Committee, in part or in it’s entirety, shall be the sole judge of such action, and their decision is deemed final.
Persons expelled shall leave the event site within 30 minutes of any verbal notice and shall not return. Exclusion may be deemed temporary (this event) or permanent (all events). Permanent expulsion shall be the decision of the elected committee and shall be confirmed in writing within 21 days of any temporary expulsion, however any excluded individual may not attend any UKWA events during this period of consideration.