Hayling slalom is a group of sailors who participate in informal slalom racing around Hayling Island. It offers a fantastic way to improve your windsurfing as well as meet other sailors. For 2014 there will be weekly racing when conditions allow during British summertime.
To take part, all you need to do is join the email group and join the UKWA. All participants must be members of the UKWA so that the participants, the organisers and the group itself are all insured. Unfortunately, alternative 3rd party insurance policies are not sufficient. We do require all sailors to be paid-up members of the UKWA so that all sailors and organisers are indemnified. Please respect this.
This is the format we plan to hold slalom sessions under:
- Planing conditions.
- Focus on fun, not winning! Frequent use of handicap starts.
- We are above all keen to encourage participation. Races will be a mixture of out-and-back masterblasters, downwind and figure-of-eight slalom.
- Venue will in most cases be Hayling seafront but if conditions are more suitable elsewhere on the island then the venue will change accordingly.
- We will plan to race on alternate Monday and Wednesday evenings and will run if the conditions are suitable. Start time to be decided by the coordinator but we will usually start between 5pm and 6pm. People can take part in as many races as they want and you can join in whenever you want if you arrive late.
- Venue, start time and racing format for each week, to be decided by a single varying co-ordinator who will send out an email in the preceding few days to confirm whether or not racing will happen. Typically we will send one email 48-72hrs before and then a further confirmation the night before if required.
- On weeks where no weekday evening session is held, the session will automatically roll-over to anytime Saturday providing there is wind, thus maximising our chances of success. If there is a national slalom event on a given Saturday it may not be possible to run Hayling Slalom depending on coordinator availability.
- Follow some simple slalom rules to prevent collisions.
- The curent coordinator is James Dinsmore.
The regular weekday evening for racing in 2014 will be confirmed in the spring.
The group is purely intended to be used to notify subscribers of forthcoming arrangements and to promote slalom in windsurfing.