THIS CLUB IS CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Poole slalom is a group of sailors in the Poole / Bournemouth area (and beyond) who do informal slalom racing in Poole Harbour and from Sandbanks sea front. Times are generally Thursday evening or at the weekend, called by email.
To take part, all you need to do is join the email group and join the UKWA. All participants must be members of the UKWA so that the individuals, the organisers and the group itself are all insured. Unfortunately, alternative 3rd party insurance policies are not sufficient. The usual event co-ordinators are people like Ed Britnell, Guy Cribb & Roger Clark. At present, there is no intention to charge for the events, but you do need to join the UKWA.
This is the format we plan to hold slalom sessions under in 2008:
- Force 4 + conditions.
- Focus on fun, not winning! Frequent use of handicap starts.
- Roaming venue in Poole area.
- Thursday evening primary slot (1st priority).
- On weeks where no Thursday evening session is held, the session will automatically roll-over to anytime Saturday providing there is wind, thus maximising our chances of success.
- Venue, start time and racing format for each week, to be decided by a single varying Coordinator.
- Follow some simple slalom rules to prevent collisions.
The group is purely intended to be used to notify subscribers of forthcoming arrangements and to promote slalom in windsurfing.
There you have it, roll on the wind…!
After his first event, Will said:
My first night last night, never raced before, fell off at nearly every gybe and came last in all but 1 race (of the 4 I did), but it was still a great evening and there is only one way to learn…
I also definitely wouldn’t worry about kit, I used proper slalom kit, but know I would have been faster on my big wave kit as at least I can sail that!
Don’t worry about your level or your kit, the other sailors help you – don’t look down on you, it’s just a good laugh.